As Christian parents we know it is not sufficient to just address our kids’ behaviors. We know that God tells us to take every opportunity to teach them His ways and His truths (Deuteronomy 6:4-9). These cards were developed as a discipleship tool to do just that.
The intention behind this tool is not to “fix” misbehaviors. Rather, these cards are intended to maximize a moment. To utilize your child’s soft heart following a misbehavior to instill God’s truth and to help them begin to learn the importance of guarding their hearts.
These cards are intended for use with children between the ages of 3 and 7.
When to use the Heart of the Matter Cards
Not every difficult behavior is a result of a hard heart. It is important for parents to practice discernment. Some children misbehave because they have not yet learned the skills and tools they need to regulate their bodies or emotions. In this case, the underlying issue does not originate in the heart – it is from a lack of skills.
Some children have experienced trauma and loss and are overwhelmed by difficult and powerful feelings. They need healing and compassion.
These cards are not intended to be used to shame a child into compliance. When we approach discipleship of our children from a place of humility and gentleness, we offer the Spirit the opportunity to move and restore.
These cards are helpful when we notice patterns of misbehavior that stem from a hard heart (greed, pride, selfishness) or when we desire to teach our kids God’s truth.
How the cards can help
Our Heart of the Matter Parenting Cards can help a child:
- Identify what they did wrong
- Connect inner heart attitude to outward behavior
- Understand God’s word
- Create space for conviction
- Create an opportunity for repentance
- Experience the love and forgiveness of God
Young children are visual learners. Pictures communicate information better than spoken or written words ever could. Our cards pictorially depict 5 different common childhood misbehaviors. It may feel as if the list of misbehaviors is endless, but most behavior problems will fit into these 5 broad categories:
- Anger outbursts
- Disrespect towards parents/ backtalk
- Hurting another person
- Arguing or refusing to share
- Not listening
Here’s a sample:
The cards allow parent to have a dialogue (using pictures) about how a person’s heart can be the fuel behind behavior and what God’s Word has to say on such matters. There is a parent guide included in each set that walks you through the use of the cards with sample questions are discussion points.
How to use the Heart of the Matter Cards
- Wait until the child is “teachable” (has a soft heart)
- Spread the cards before the child and have them pick which one(s) best show what they did wrong.
- Discuss the condition of the heart that led to such behaviors
- Flip the card over and read the Bible verse
- Ask the child to describe what they see. What do they notice about the heart? The behavior?
- Share how everyone (even you) struggles with a hard heart sometimes and that God wants to offer us forgiveness
- Pray together and invite God’s love and ask for forgiveness
- Hug your child
- Have them make amends if necessary
Many parents have found this tool to be a great aid in helping them create space in their discipline for discipleship rather than just focusing on compliance in their children.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.