Parenting is not easy – we need all the help we can get. Books, internet searches, and seminars can be helpful but can leave us wondering, “What now?” or “What am I supposed to DO with this information?” At Cornerstones for Parents, we understand that the desires of a parent’s heart may not always be easily translated into action. That is why we have developed a concrete parenting tool that will help you address your child’s misbehavior, but more importantly, the condition of her heart.
Consequences (like removing a toy or a time out) don’t always deliver the impact we are after. Sometimes our children go right back to the misbehavior that earned them their consequence in the first place! Our Heart of the Matter Parenting Cards will help break this cycle by helping your child:
- Accept responsibility
- Identify her wrong behavior
- Connect her heart attitude to behavior
- Understand God’s will
Young children are visual learners. Pictures communicate information better than spoken or written words ever could. Our cards pictorially depict 5 different common childhood misbehaviors. It may feel as if the list of misbehaviors is endless, but most behavior problems will fit into these 5 categories:
- Loss of self-control/ anger outbursts
- Disrespect towards parents/ backtalk
- Hurting another person
- Arguing or refusing to share
- Not listening
Here’s a sample:
The front of each card depicts the misbehavior while the back of the card shows the desirable behavior. More importantly, the card allows the parent to have a dialogue (using pictures) about how a person’s heart determines behavior and what God’s Word has to say on such matters.
How to Use:
- Give an appropriate consequence for the child’s misbehavior
- Wait until the child is “teachable” (has a soft heart)
- Spread the cards before the child and have her pick which one(s) best show what she did wrong.
- Explain that wrong behaviors come from angry,hard hearts
- Flip the card over and read the Bible verse.
- Ask the child to describe what she sees (what does she notice different about the heart?)
- Ask what she can do next time instead
- Have her make amends if necessary for the wrong committed.
Many parents have found this tool to be a great aid in helping them instill character rather than just compliance in their children. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
ONLY $8.95! (FREE SHIPPING in continental USA)